Council of the municipality of Zuia-Zuya, in the province of Alava, is located on the slope of Mount San Fausto. Murgia, located in the centre of the Zuia valley, is its capital. The uninhabited Arechaga is part of its council. Altomedieval sarcophagi have been found in the town, possibly from the 9th and 10th centuries. In 1338 history tells us that Monreal de Zuia was founded. It was composed of nineteen villages but its existence was ephemeral and disappeared a few years later moving the neighbors to the nearby Monreal de Murgia. In 1410, at the request of the neighbours, King Henry II granted this village the Privilege Charter that the now defunct Monreal de Zuia possessed. In 1484 by mandate of the Catholic Monarchs Murgia became a lordship of Vitoria until in 1515 became independent and was constituted as a royal villa, head of City Council of Zuia.
Murgia, whose main nucleus developed along the road has impregnated it with a different aspect, has such stately buildings as the palace of Vea Murgia, the palace of Corral, the palace of the Marquesa, the palace of Vivancos, or the house of Iradier, which contribute to highlighting this aspect. The town hall, whose building was finished in 1766 and whose Basque architecture has a heraldic coat of arms, emphasizes the capital of the valley. Religious buildings such as the church of San Miguel built between 1805 and 1821, the convent of the Discalced Carmelites from 1888 or the school of the Sacred Heart built between 1890 and 1906 tell us the cultural importance of Murgia. Undoubtedly interesting are also the houses, from the late Middle Ages, which can be seen in the village and which keep within their walls years of history and memories of great family battles..
But Murgia, immersed in a rich and varied natural environment, invites us to enjoy beautiful landscapes, extensive forests of beech and oak groves that especially in autumn show their characteristic palette of colors. A short route takes us from Murgia to Murua from where we can enjoy many of the hiking trails that cross the Gorbeia Natural Park and even tread the top of the emblematic Mount Gorbea. In the surroundings of Murgia is the rocky mountain known as Las Peñas de Oro and in them the Sanctuary of Nuestra Señora de Oro, patron saint of the Zuia valley. From the sanctuary start several paths that bring us closer to the Cross of Atxabal, the highest rock of all the crags, from where all the villages of the valley can be seen, the Cross of Ganalto and the massif of the Cross of Gorbea.
Murgia celebrates its patron saint festivities on 29 September in honour of San Miguel Arcángel.
The origin of the town of Murgia is in the Neighborhood of the Cross, although it is traditionally known as El Barrio, located southeast of the center of the current Murgia.
In the Honey Museum located in the urban area of Murgia we can see where and how honey produced in the area of Gorbeia.
Murgia is located in the middle of the A-3600 road. Murgia can be reached by following the road that connects Vitoria-Gasteiz with the AP-68. Murgia can also be reached via the N-240, via the port of Barazar.
Murgia has a regular bus service that connects it with Vitoria-Gasteiz and Bilbao at different times of the day.
SENDITUR is not responsible for any variation in the information described, as well as for the misuse of its guides and recommends that everyone be responsible and prudent in carrying out the activity. Likewise, we invite you to document yourself with books and specialized guides to complement the information described. From the commitment of SENDITUR with Nature and the respect to the balance of the environment, SENDITUR urges you to travel in a responsible way, with low environmental impact and respecting at all times the Natural, Cultural and Social environment wherever you go. For any suggestion, SENDITUR invites you to send an email to .
Continue watching …