It is a town located in the northeast of the province of Alava, forming part of the Cuadrilla de Ayala, on the banks of the river Nervión and in an enclave of soft and green mountains, in the region that is known as Valles Cantábricos Alaveses. Amurrio, which has been mentioned in documents since the 11th century, is also the name of the municipality formed by the town of Amurrio itself, its capital and main nucleus, and the towns or councils of Aloria, Artómaña, Barambio, Délica, Larrimbe, Lecamaña, Lezama, Saracho and Tertanga. Although the origins of Amurrio can be dated back to the Middle Ages, when it was part of the lordship of Ayala and enjoyed its privileges since 1373, we know of prehistoric settlements in the area that can well date from the Bronze Age and the Iron Age, such as those found on the summits of Babio and Peregaña.
Some vestiges of the Romans also remain in Aloria, Délica and Amurrio itself. In 1463 Amurrio joined the Brotherhoods of Alava, preserving their uses and customs. During the reign of the Reyes Católicos, in 1491, Amurrio was constituted as a municipality, and the lineage of the Amurrio that was extended by the newly discovered new world arose. The Carlist and Napoleonic Wars bring unrest to the locality as it is where their headquarters are located, the hamlet of Bonaparte testifies to this. The benefits of the fueros of Ayala ceased, with the loss of these, in the year 1875. Amurrio very late acquires the title of villa, it was in the year 1919. Nowadays, in addition to its traditional activity of commerce and services, there is also a flourishing industrial activity.
Amurrio is a modern locality of our time that offers a not inconsiderable tourist mix. Culture, gastronomy and a beautiful nature that lends itself to travel, on foot or by bike, and discover its corners through interesting hiking trails such as the Nervión Linear Park, the Delika Canyon, or the high Sierra Salvada by the Sopeña Royal Way. From the medieval period of Amurrio and its history, the so-called tower houses, the Mariaka built in the 13th century by a relative of the Ayala family, are faithful reflections. Also owned by the Ayala family, the Artomaña tower house was built in the late 14th and early 15th centuries. The palace Larrako, tower of the Ugarte, from the beginning of the XVII century; in the district of Berganza, where the rivers Altube and Berganza converge, the tower Jauregia was built in the XIII century. The Urrutia palace, known as the Cejudo palace, dates from the 16th century. From the end of the 12th century are the remains of the primitive temple on which the church of Santa María sits, most of whose work dates from the 16th century.
Of the numerous hermitages that Amurrio had, that of San Roque, from the 18th century, formerly known as San Silvestre de Arza, survives with the passing of time, but the hermitage of San Antón, from the 16th century, stands out above all, of transcendental importance because in its enclosure the five Councils, Amurrio, Derendano (Saratxo), Larrimbe, Etxegoien and Olábezar, used to meet in Junta in order to "understand the things fulfilled in the service of God Our Lord, of His lordship and of the commons". Every 17th of January, on the feast of San Antón, judges, mountaineers and scribes were changed. Amurrio also offers the visitor curious and interesting museums such as the Aresketamendi Outdoor Museum, the Liquor Museum, the Bicycle Museum and the Txakolineria which is the largest winery producing txakoli, a wine characteristic of the area with the Arabako Txakolina Designation of Origin.
Amurrio celebrates its patron saint festivities in honour of Nuestra Señora and San Roque from 11 to 17 August; 28 April is the feast day of San Prudencio, patron saint of Álava.
On the third Sunday in September, Amurrio celebrates the traditional Shepherd's Day, Artzain Eguna. On this day, numerous activities are organised related to pastoral life, sheep meat tasting, cheese competition, shearing demonstration...
In Amurrio, also known as "El crucero" because of its strategic location at the crossroads of roads that, both by the port of Altube and Orduña, communicated the lands of Castilla with the important ports of the Cantábrico, the bell carillon of the tower of the church of Santa María is the first in Euskadi with 25 bells and the sixth in Spain.
The people of Amurrio were told that near the Jauregia tower there was a cave that the lamias had made their home. The lamias, beautiful, seductive women, who spin with a spinning wheel and spindle, build dolmens and that with their songs, and while they mesan their golden hair, attract and catch the people who approach them. Well, in this cave lived three lamias that often roasted oiled bacon, koipetsu, and since they had a fame that they liked to scare the children, the Amurrian mothers when they wanted the children to enter the house for dinner told them "run, come, it smells like koipetsu" But in reality, and according to Basque mythology, they are benign beings who defend honesty.
To get to Amurrio we can do it from Bilbao either following the AP-68 or through the BI-625, these same roads but in its Alava slope reach this town from Vitoria. Amurrio is also reached by roads that connect it with the neighbouring towns of Arceniega and Orduña.
Amurrio has a daily regular bus service that connects it with Vitoria-Gasteiz, Orduña and Galdakao.
Amurrio has a railway station in the city centre as well as several stops on the outskirts where the trains that make the Bilbao-Miranda route stop. The Renfe suburban train, line C3 Bilbao (Abando) - Orduña, also stops at Amurrio.
SENDITUR is not responsible for any variation in the information described, as well as for the misuse of its guides and recommends that everyone be responsible and prudent in carrying out the activity. Likewise, we invite you to document yourself with books and specialized guides to complement the information described. From the commitment of SENDITUR with Nature and the respect to the balance of the environment, SENDITUR urges you to travel in a responsible way, with low environmental impact and respecting at all times the Natural, Cultural and Social environment wherever you go. For any suggestion, SENDITUR invites you to send an email to .