It is located on the banks of the Remunicio River, at the foot of the Cuerda del Pozo reservoir, in the east of the Pinares region to which it belongs and on the edge of the Urbión and Cebollera mountains. The municipality is formed by the town of Vinuesa and the neighbourhoods of El Quintanarejo and Santa Inés, the latter being uninhabited. The first human remains come from the Neolithic period, as evidenced by the remains of the circular huts found from this period, but the first settlement with its own name, Visontium, and from which the gentilicio of its inhabitants, dates from the 5th century BC and it was the Pelendones, a Celtiberian tribe, who settled here. The Roman road, of which a few kilometres have been preserved, linked the village with Numantia and Uxama, and formed part of a bridge over the Duero River, which can hardly be seen today when the water level of the Cuerda del Pozo reservoir allows it.
Then came centuries of depopulation and oblivion for Vinuesa, until the Reconquest, at the beginning of the 11th century, when the town acted as a frontier town between the Muslims and the Kingdom of Navarra, and after that it became dependent on the city of Soria. The first written reference to Vinuesa as such is from the census of Alfonso X el Sabio in 1272. This king established the Mesta and with it began the boom of the town, as many sheep flocks came to these lands through their pastures and with them their owners who settled in the place. The area was also the place chosen for the hunting of princes and kings. At the beginning of the 16th century, the ordinances were passed to govern the municipality, which became independent from Soria in 1597, and in 1776 King Carlos III granted Vinuesa the title of town and the roll of justice that symbolised it. The War of Independence caused quite a lot of destruction in the town, which was later accentuated during the Carlist Wars.
To walk around Vinuesa is to discover a typical and representative architectural construction of the region. Palaces and ancestral homes guarded, from the hill where it is located, in the Main Square, at the top of the village, by the church of the Virgen del Pino, from the 16th century. This beautiful town with its cobbled streets shows the constructions that centuries ago, XVI and XVIII, ordered to be built by the many noble families that, bringing their cattle to take advantage of the mountain pastures, wanted to settle in the town. Palaces, like the one of the Marques de Vilueña built in 1754 or the neoclassical style one of Pedro de Neyla, whose coats of arms shine in its facade; and of course one of the best examples of popular architecture of the town, the House of the Ramos of 1778, declared in 1996 a Cultural Interest Site. In the centre of the square Plazuela and surrounded by beautiful mansions you can see the Roll, symbol of the category of town of Vinuesa. The hermitage of La Soledad, from the 16th century, the hermitage of San Mateo, on the other side of the reservoir, in a pine grove, the hermitage of San Pedro or the hermitage of San Antón, where the festival of the Saints is celebrated in January, which is from the 16th century, are part of the beautiful architectural elements of the town which also and given its privileged location offers other great attractions for visitors and walkers such as the Natural Park of Laguna Negra and the Glacial Circles of Urbión.
Vinuesa celebrates its patron saint festivities in honour of the Virgen del Pino, patron saint of the town, between 14 and 18 August.
During Vinuesa's patron saint festivities, the traditional Pinochada is celebrated, with ceremonial dances and music reminiscent of the struggle with pine branches. When the battle is over, the women start to fight with the men and they respond by giving thanks and saying "of today in a year".
La Glen Galiana or Royal Glen of La Rioja, was one of the livestock routes that followed the axis of transhumance, born in the south of La Rioja and passed through Soria, Guadalajara, Madrid, Toledo and Ciudad Real. In Vinuesa, the Council of the Mesta, the regulating body of this activity, met every year in August in the street of the Peña to discuss the use of the gullies and ropes.
Legend has it that the carving of the Virgin was found in the top of a pine tree, a subject of dispute between the residents of Vinuesa and those of the nearby village of Covaleda, as the pine tree had its roots in the municipality of Vinuesa but its branches fell on the one in Covaleda. The neighbours of both towns clashed then to see who the find belonged to and the fight was joined by the visontinas women who, armed with pinochos, small pine shoots, brought victory to their town. Since then, the Virgin of the Pine has been the patron saint of Vinuesa.
You can reach Vinuesa by following the SO-820 road that crosses the town and connects it with El Royo and Molinos del Duero respectively, towns that are linked to the N-234 between Soria and Burgos. Vinuesa is also reached by the SO-830 road from Montenegro de Cameros, which links the town with Villoslada de Cameros, already in La Rioja.
Vinuesa has a bus service stop that covers the route from Burgos to Soria and also connects it with the towns along the route. The telephone number for further information is 975 222 060
SENDITUR is not responsible for any variation in the information described, as well as for the misuse of its guides and recommends that everyone be responsible and prudent in carrying out the activity. Likewise, we invite you to document yourself with books and specialized guides to complement the information described. From the commitment of SENDITUR with Nature and the respect to the balance of the environment, SENDITUR urges you to travel in a responsible way, with low environmental impact and respecting at all times the Natural, Cultural and Social environment wherever you go. For any suggestion, SENDITUR invites you to send an email to .